Ahhh...Teachers' Convention season. What a glorious time of the year where educators get a rare opportunity to network, learn, see new technology, share ideas/commonalities with other professionals, grab a bag full of free loot from vendors and go to the bathroom because they need to, not because a bell has rung.
Palliser District Teachers' Convention is right in the middle of the season, being held today and tomorrow in Calgary. For those who don't know, it's my old stomping grounds school division, so I enjoy being able to go now as a member of Sharp's and catch up with so many great former colleagues. Since I'm on maternity leave this year, I'll just be making a quick appearance at our booth sometime this afternoon (after lunch plans with colleagues), so be sure to stop by our Sharp's Audio Visual booth and say hi! If you're not able to be in attendance (or even if you are!) follow along on Twitter with #pdtca2012. Forgot your booklet? Click here for the online version.
Despite my lack of full involvement this year, I was still interested in perusing the convention booklet to see what sessions were being offered. Looking for some technology sessions, but not sure what to go to? For what it's worth, I give you my picks:
1. Session D15 - SMART Lessons and Literacy Ideas (division I).
- You really can't go wrong with a session not only focusing on integrating the SMART Board into LA, Math, Science and Social Studies, but this one promises to share already devloped lessons. Score!
2. Session E14 - Using Student Owned Devices in the Classroom: Strategies and Success (divisions III and IV)
- This is such a hot topic these days, and many educators who may feel like they'd like to venture into the realm of student owned devices often are too afraid or unsure of how to effectively integrate them without causing more distractions. Learn how to use iPods, Smartphones and digital cameras from an AMAZING teacher/tweep of mine Derek Keenan. I highly recommend any session that he leads :) He's got some other ones, so take a look at your booklet and mark them down!
3. Session 108 - How to get the Most out of Your SMARTBoard in Kindergarten (division I)
- Obviously, I'm a bit biased, so I love when a SMART Board session makes an appearance at convention. I'm also a bit biased because I've had one of the presenters in a workshop of mine, and I know that she'll be a great person to share her personal insights in how this technology can work for the younger folk.
4. Session I14 - E-Liability (all divisions)
- A bit of a different sort of technology focused session, this one promises to discuss the new challenges that educators face with social media and technology being ever-present in our students' lives. Cyberharassment directed at teachers is on the rise, and the steps that should be taken in those circumstances will be shared.
5. H13 - Breeze for Teachers (all divisions)
- Admittedly, I've never used Breeze for Teachers, but this session sounds interesting. The presenters promise to share how to maintain a successful school website with all the key components - online homeowrk, photos, daily news, etc. Anything that can improve/enhance communication between school and home is A-OK with me!
Have fun with whatever sessions you choose! Enjoy this precious time to collaborate and learn with your colleagues. And don't have toooo much fun at the hospitality suites ;)